Certain concessions may apply if you're an eligible pensioner/senior or own farmland with a specified purpose.
Eligible pensioners and seniors may be entitled to claim up to 50% off their Annual Rates, Emergency Services Levy and the Drainage Levy (if applicable) or defer payment.
To qualify for a rebate or deferment, you must be an owner and occupier of the property at July 1 in the year you're applying for the concession.
The following concessions are available:
- Holders of a Seniors Card are entitled to receive up to a 25% capped rebate on Rates, a 25% rebate on the Emergency Services Levy and 25% capped rebate on Drainage Levy (if applicable).
- Holders of a Seniors Card (for further information please visit Centrelink) and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (for further information please visit Centrelink) are entitled to receive up to a 50% rebate on Rates, the Emergency Services Levy and the Drainage Levy (if applicable). Deferment of each of these rates and charges may also apply.
- Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card (for further information please visit Centrelink) or State Concession Card (for further information please contact State concession cards - Department of Community Development on 9222 -255) are entitled to receive up to a 50% rebate .If you receive the full 50% rebate deferment option is available on your Rates, Emergency Services Levy and Drainage Levy (if applicable) until your property is sold or no longer occupied by yourself. However, if you choose to defer, you will forfeit your 50% rebate. For more information please contact Rates department on 08 9267 9160.
No penalties apply for deferring your rates. However, all other charges including the Rubbish Service Charge and any applicable Security Levy and Pool Inspection Fee are required to be paid in full by the due date shown on your Annual Rate Notice.
How to Apply
You can use either of these options to apply:
- Call the Water Corporation on 1300 659 951 or visit Water Corporation website or
- Send your completed Application Form to the City of Swan, with a copy of both sides of all relevant cards. Supplies of Application Forms are available at our office and you're welcome to photocopy your documents while you're there.
To make things even easier for you, the City will automatically liaise with the Water Corporation for pensioner/senior concessions and vice versa.
If you are entitled to the pensioner/senior concessions, the Office of State Revenue will reimburse the City for the rebate amount on your rates. For example, on your Rates charge if you're entitled to the full 50% rebate you are required to pay half and the Office of State Revenue pays the other half.
To assist us in making a successful claim to the Office of State Revenue, why not use our check list?
- Have I notified the City of Swan that my concession card has been cancelled?
- Have I changed from a Centrelink pension to a Veteran Affairs pension and not completed a new application?
- Do I hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as well as a Seniors Card and am I only registered at the City with my Seniors Card?
- As I no longer work more than 25 hours per week and I am over 60, have I applied for a Seniors Card?
- Has the ownership of my property been changed due to recent circumstances?
- Have I moved from one property to another within the City and not made a new application for concession?
All of the above are changes that the City of Swan needs to know about. Unfortunately, if your concessions are cancelled, you won't receive your rebates again until you complete a new application. This increases the amount of rates that you'll be required to pay.
If you have any queries or need help with your concessions, please call our friendly staff on 9267 9160.
- Rate payments may be deferred if you're entitled to 100% rebate; and
- Eligible Pensioners/Seniors have until June 30 of the current financial year to pay their rebated concession amount.
The City of Swan has two Farmland Concessions - Swan Valley Farmland and Urban Farmland.
To be eligible, your property must be used for food production, including:
- dairy farming;
- cattle farming;
- sheep farming;
- pig farming;
- poultry farming;
- fish farming;
- fruit and vegetable growing; and
- the growing of crops.
In addition to the above, a substantial part of your livelihood must come from involvement in one of the businesses or industries above. If your property is less than 5,000 square metres and includes a residence, you won't be eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Simply contact our friendly staff on 08 9267 9160 for an Application Form and return it along with the following documents:
- Profit and Loss Statement (certified by an accountant);
- Signed Statutory Declaration stating that your property is used for one of the purposes mentioned above.
Applications for the concession must be received before June 30 of the current financial year, to be eligible for the next financial year.