Included in your annual rates are charges for other necessary community services. Not all of these additional charges apply to all residents. If applicable, you'll see these charges listed as separate items on your annual rate notice. Additional charges may apply to the following services.
Rubbish Service Charge
An annual fee is charged for waste and recycling collection services. A one-off establishment fee is payable for each new bin (whether household or recycling) requested.
Emergency Services Levy (ESL)
All property owners in Western Australia are required to contribute to the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (ESL). Local Government collects the Emergency Services Levy on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). The Levy collectively pays for the development and maintenance of Fire Stations, Volunteer Fire Brigades, State Emergency Service units and the Volunteer Emergency Services unit. The Emergency Services Levy is clearly identified on your rates notice. If you have any queries about the ESL, please contact DFES head office on 1300 136 099 or visit their website at dfes.wa.gov.au.
Security Service Charge
Some areas within the City have elected to have security patrols. This service is provided by an independent contractor and is charged annually to applicable residents.
Council has provided 24 hour security patrol services for The Vines (since April 2001) and Ellenbrook (since July 1998).
- The Vines Security Service Charge for 2015/16 is $150.
- The Ellenbrook Security Service Charge for 2015/16 is $100.
If you live in one of these areas, the charge will be clearly shown as a separate item on your rate notice. The provision of these services is cost neutral to the City.
Swimming Pool Inspection Fee
The Swimming Pool Licence Inspection Fee is $57.45 per pool.
The City is required to undertake inspections on all swimming pool enclosures every four years. Under the City’s program, pool inspectors visit all properties on a rotating schedule. City inspectors carry identification, which will be shown on request and will leave a report after each inspection has been completed. Notifications of inspections are issued approximately one month before the inspection will occur and there will be the opportunity to book an inspection appointment at a convenient time.
If a pool has been removed from your property, please advise the City and a removal inspection can be arranged.
For further information on the Licence Inspection process please contact the City’s Community Safety unit via telephone number 9267 9267.
Midland and Hazelmere/Guildford
The City of Swan is responsible for the construction and maintenance of drainage infrastructure in the Midland, Guildford, South Guildford, Hazelmere and parts of Woodbridge and Viveash areas. As a result, residents in these areas are charged an annual levy for this service.
Midland and Hazelmere/Guildford Drainage Specified Area Rate
- The Water Corporation does not perform drainage works, or charge a drainage rate, in the Midland, Guildford, South Guildford, Woodbridge and parts of Viveash and Hazelmere.
- The City is responsible for construction and maintenance of drainage infrastructure within this area, and the total cost to carry out these works over a number of years is estimated at $25 million.
- This Specified Area Rate is shown separately on your Rate Notice.
- The calculation method for the Specified Area Rate is the same as the calculation of your Rates "GRV multiplied by the rate in the dollar".
- The rate in the dollar for 2015/16 for is $0.00536.
Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure Specified Area Rate