Lighting fires on your property can be extremely dangerous. To help reduce the risk, prohibited dates are set according to seasonal conditions and may be adjusted. General information, legal requirements and dates are available in the Your Guide to the Fire Season brochure. Extensions to the Prohibited Burning Periods are published on the City's web home page or available on the City's Fire Information Line 9267 9326.
All Burning is Prohibited: December 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015 inclusive. Please note that the exemption for burning small amounts of garden refuse after 6pm no longer applies.
Exemptions: The operation of a barbeque, solid fuel heater, water heater, space heater, stove, oven or incinerator fired with dried paper, dry wood, synthetic char or charcoal type fuel provided that no nuisance arises from the burning of such materials.
Alternatives to Burning: Consider the environment. Whenever practical, alternative methods of fuel reduction should be used.
- Composting clippings, branches, twigs and leaves for mulch;
- Utilising Green Waste Collection;
- Utilising the Red Hill Waste Disposal Facility (Toodyay Road, Gidgegannup);
- Large quantities of green waste including large branches and tree trunks can be mulched or chipped on site by mobile mulching services and utilised on the property or shared with neighbours.
Control of Operations Likely to Cause a Bush Fire – Limited Burning Periods
The operation of welding equipment, angle grinders and similar are activities that could cause a fire when used in the open air. The follow conditions apply:
- A person shall provide at least one fire extinguisher at the place where welding or cutting operation is carried out and surround this area with a five meter wide firebreak
- Keep farm machinery and vehicles clean of dust and vegetation. Check underside for build up particularly around the exhaust system and catalytic converters
- Fit spark arresters to machinery exhausts
- Carry appropriate fire extinguishers, knapsacks or fire appliances
For further information regarding fire restrictions, please see Seasonal Bans