City of Swan

Parking Restrictions

The City of Swan's Consolidated Local Laws 2005 lists a number of parking offences that assist with ensuring vehicles are moved on where appropriate, and with reducing potential hazards.

Midland On-Street Pay and Display Parking

The City of Swan will be introducing on-street pay and display parking in Midland Town Centre from May 1, 2015.

See the map of on-street pay and display parking.

The move is part of the City's broader management of access and parking that needs to take place due to increasing development. These changes will support the growth and reinvigoration of the area as well as to tackle the increased congestion that could occur with the growing town centre.

The introduction of on-street pay and display parking will ensure the ongoing availability of parking spaces for shoppers.

The new on-street pay and display parking will allow free half hour parking with a valid ticket. Longer stays will be at a higher tariff than off street parking.


Parking infringements can be given for a number of offences, including exceeding your time limit in a parking bay, parking in a bay requiring a permit/parking ticket, and not displaying the required permit/ticket.

If you receive a parking infringement, you must do one of the following three:

  • Pay the modified penalty before the due date
  • Provide a written request to withdraw the infringement notice along with supporting documentation, and send it in to the City of Swan, PO Box 196, Midland WA 6936; or
  • Request to have the matter heard by a Court

You must inform the City if you weren't the driver at the time of the offence. This involves completing a declaration and supplying the details of the person in charge of your vehicle at the time of the offence. Unfortunately if you can't nominate a driver you will be liable for the infringement penalty.

If you require an extension on the due date of an infringement notice please contact the City's Customer Services on 9267 9267.

Footpath Parking

Any paved or bituminised verge is classed as a footpath. Unless this area is specifically marked for parking, it's prohibited to park there due to potential obstruction to pedestrians. If you're affected by a vehicle parking over the footpath please contact Customer Services on 9267 9267.

Midland CBD

The City of Swan provides parking facilities across the Midland CBD, these include paid and permit parking as well as time limited bays.

Motorcycle Parking

The City of Swan provides separate bays for motorcycles. Parking any other type of vehicle in these bays is an offence.

Private Property Parking

Properties with more than 20 and less than 120 parking bays can apply to have their car parks enforced under private property legislation. To apply for a private property parking agreement, please complete an Application form and send it to the City of Swan.

School Parking

When the kids are back at school, we must remain vigilant on roads around schools to avoid accidents. For this reason you'll usually see parking restrictions in areas around schools, please do keep a look out for these signs. If you think your school has a parking problem call Customer Services on 9267 9267 to see how we can help.

Verge Parking

There are various locations throughout the City of Swan where verge parking is prohibited. Under the City's Local Laws, it's an offence to park on these verges and you might receive an infringement notice for breaching the restriction.

In other areas, you can only park on a verge if you have the permission of the adjacent property owners or occupiers.

Car Parks and Travel Options

Find out more about car parks and other travel options within the City of Swan here at Travel and Transport.

Last Update : 31/03/2015
Rate this page (Was the information useful to you?)
Bad Good
Rate this page (Was the information useful to you?)

City of Swan Administration Centre, 2 Midland Square, Midland, Western Australia
Tel: +61 (08) 9267 9267    Email:
National Relay Service: SSR: 1300 555 727 | TTY: 133 677