Changing a property use

Property 'use' is different from the land use zoning of a property. The zoning may be industrial but the City can approve different uses on that property, e.g. warehousing, light industry, or motor vehicle repair. These different uses often have different development requirements.

It is advisable to check what use the property is approved for before you sign a lease or contract. This information may be available from the owner, agent, or the City can provide a written response if you submit a written enquiry using a planning enquiry form. The City can also provide copies of approvals granted for the property, with consent from the current landowner, if you submit a planning approval form. There are fees associated with both these forms.

If the property is approved for a use different from your business type, you will need to apply for a change of land use. As part of the application you will need to show how your business will meet the development requirements for the proposed use.

For more information on making a change of land use application, contact a Planning Officer on 9267 9267.