Apply for an ABN
Issued by the Australian Business Register (ABR), an Australian Business Number (ABN) is a unique eleven digit identifying number that businesses use when dealing with other businesses. For example, you generally need to put your ABN on your invoices or other documents relating to sales. If you don’t, other businesses may withhold 46.5% from any payment to you for tax purposes.
You also need an ABN in certain dealings with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other areas of government.
Registering for an ABN is not compulsory, but you will need one to register for the GST. Your ABN allows you to:
- facilitate a single Business Activity Statement
- confirm your business identity to others when ordering and invoicing
- avoid PAYG tax on payments you receive
- claim GST credits
- claim energy grants credits
- purchase an Australian domain name
The ATO and the ABR are the government support agencies that can offer direction and accurate information for you to use in your business.