Starting a home based food business

If you'd like to run a food business from home, you'll first need to obtain planning approval from the City of Swan. The approval is a two-part process.

  • Obtaining relevant planning approval
  • Obtaining Health Department approval for food safety outcomes.

You will find the Home Based Business Approvals/Checklist helpful in completing your planning approval application.

Visit our public health pages for information and requirements needed for home based food preparation for retail sale.

The City of Swan provides access to I'm Alert. This is a free interactive food safety training to ensure that food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner.

The "I'm Alert" online food safety training conforms to WA's Food Act 2008 and Food Safety Standards (Australia).