Organising a public event
The City of Swan approves a large number of single, one-off public events each year ranging from outdoor concerts to festivals and exhibitions. These events vary significantly in complexity and degree of risk to public health and safety. Therefore, all public events are assessed using a risk weighting checklist and categorised into high, medium and low risk events. A different approval process is followed based on the risk.
The City uses risk factors such as numbers of patrons, presence of alcohol and the duration of the event to determine the risk level. Please contact City of Swan Health Services on 9267 9153 to determine the risk classification of your event.
Before you hold your public event, you must complete an Application for approval of a public event form(PDF, 270KB) along with any other relevant documentation and send it into to us, at least 60 days prior to the event date.
In addition to the information contained in the Application Form, the event organiser also needs to provide the following:
- Copy of Public Liability Insurance (Certificate of Currency);
- Copy of the completed Liquor Licensing and Gaming Licensing Application Form(PDF, 126KB) (if applicable);
- Emergency Evacuation Plan;
- Regulation 18 Noise exemption application;
- Risk management plan (if the event is to cater for 5,000 or more patrons);
- Site plan showing the site layout, including exits, food stalls, parking, first aid, temporary structures, etc;
- Street Trading Application(PDF, 223KB) (where food stalls are provided);
- Parking Management Plan (if appropriate);
- Any other relevant information as discussed with Health Services.
Another important factor to consider when planning your event is accessiblility. The Creating Accessible Events(PDF, 96KB) checklist is an informative guide to help you.
For more information on public buildings and events, please visit www.public.health.wa.gov.au