Ballajura derives its name from the farm originally pioneered by the Kerruish, Eaton and Creer families and which was held by the Kerruish family until 1944. The land was later used for raising cattle, until major urban development commenced in 1978. Emu Lake is a significant central feature of the area. Pre-settlement, the lake provided a source of water and food for the Aboriginal community.
Source: 2011 Census data