This suburb takes its name directly from the name given to the Swan Valley property “Belhus”, acquired by George Hardey Barrett-Lennard in 1897. Formerly known as “Ellen’s Brook”, Barrett-Lennard renamed it after the family estate in Essex, England. The Barrett-Lennard family was one of the pioneers in the table grape industry. Today, the beautiful Belhus Estate is preserved under the Register of Heritage Places.
Source: 2011 Census data