Assistance grants for WA tourism businesses impacted by COVID-19
Published on 23 August 2021
Western Australian tourism businesses impacted by COVID-19 will soon be able to apply for funding support under a new joint Commonwealth-State program valued at up to $16.8 million.
Eligible tourism businesses will be able to apply for grants of up to $10,000 to assist with some of the financial impacts resulting from much of the country being under significant COVID-19 restrictions in recent months.
It is anticipated about 3,500 businesses will be eligible for funding support under the program - including tourism operators, accommodation providers and travel agents.
Applicants must demonstrate at least a 30 per cent reduction in turnover by comparing the period May 15 - June 25, with July 10 - August 20, to be eligible for support.
The following funding amounts will be made available to eligible businesses:
- $2,000 grant for all sole traders and for employing businesses with an annual turnover between $50,000 and $100,000
- $5,000 grant for employing businesses with an annual turnover between $100,000 and $1 million
- $10,000 grant for employing businesses with an annual turnover between $1 million and $10 million.
In order to be eligible, businesses must be:
- Registered with Tourism WA as a previous grant recipient or as part of the agency's marketing campaigns in 2020 or 2021; or
- A member of, or accredited through, a relevant tourism organisation (as Sunday August 22, 2021); or
- A travel agent that has been offering domestic product to travellers.
Businesses must also have an active and valid ABN and be located in Western Australia.
While up to $16.8 million is available for the program, it is likely the amount expended will be less due to the strength of intrastate tourism in Western Australia.