Road upgrades in Midland and Hazelmere a boost for local economy
Published on 09 July 2020
The City of Swan supports the State Government's search for local contractors to deliver transformational road upgrades which will improve road safety and boost our local economy.
The State Government has launched a Request for Proposals for a package of road upgrades for the City of Swan and surrounding eastern suburbs, with the initial scope set to include:
- New grade separated interchange at Great Eastern Highway Bypass and Roe Highway
- New grade separated interchange at Great Eastern Highway Bypass and Abernethy Road
- Duplication of Abernethy Road between Grogan Road and the future intersection of Adelaide Street
- Extension of Lloyd Street from Clayton Street to Lakes Road, including a new bridge over the Helena River
- Intersection upgrade at Abernethy Road and Kalamunda Road
- New cycling connections
City of Swan Mayor said the City is excited to see Midland, our biggest metropolitan centre, finally connected to Hazelmere.
"The completion of the Lloyd Street extension in particular will transform the Hazelmere area and significantly improve traffic flow and safety," he said.
"By connecting Lloyd Street to the Great Eastern Highway Bypass and Abernethy road, we're eliminating up to 12 minutes off commutes and relieving pressure on nearby roads.
"I would like to thank the State and Federal Governments - particularly WA Transport Minister Rita Saffioti, Member for Hasluck Ken Wyatt and Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure Alan Tudge - for recognising the importance of fixing congestion in the area.
“This project has been our top funding priority for more than a decade, so it’s great to see years of hard lobbying paying off for the benefit of our community."
The infrastructure projects complement the City of Swan's $8.85 million economic stimulus package to increase local investment, encourage job creation and inject money quickly into the local economy.
For more information about the City's stimulus package projects visit www.swan.wa.gov.au/COVID-19