Animal pests

The City of Swan does not manage the control or removal of animal pests or invasive species. 

Read more on pest control.


Residents within the City of Swan are allowed to keep almost any kind of bird. You’ll need to first obtain a licence from the Department of Parks and Wildlife . Licence fees depend on the category of bird you’ll be keeping.

Read more on keeping chickens .

Deceased animals

If you notice a deceased animal on City public property, such as verges, parks or parking lots, please contact us on  9267 9267 and we’ll arrange for its removal.


Western Australia is home to some of the most poisonous snakes in the world. City of Swan officers are not authorised to manage the removal of snakes.  Nor are we permitted to collect injured animals, which are the result of bush fire or motor vehicle incidents.

If you see a snake:

  • Try to remain calm and note where the snake disappeared to, so the attending people can attempt to safely capture and remove it
  • Do not attempt to kill or capture a snake yourself. Most snake bites result from people forcing a snake into a situation where the snake feels threatened and attacks out of self-defence.  

If you need assistance, please contact the Department of Parks and Wildlife. The department will refer you to the appropriate organisation or people for the collection of the animal  (eg Snake Busters, Fauna Rehabilitation Centre, etc). Although the Wildcare Office is staffed 24 hours a day by volunteers, they are only a referral agency and therefore can’t collect injured animals or snakes.

Injured wildlife

If you’ve found an injured or orphaned bird or native animal, you need to:

  • Keep it safe and comfortable
  • Find your nearest Native Animal Rescue support vet. The vets will ensure the animal receives the right treatment right away. There is no charge and Native Animal Rescue can collect the animal once it receives first aid.
  • If you can’t take the animal to a vet, call the Department of Parks and Wildlife 24 hour Wildcare Helpline on (08) 9474 9055.

Where possible please do the following:

  • Remember that your safety and welfare are paramount. Make sure it is safe before attempting to rescue a native animal. Look out for sharp claws and beaks; they are wild animals and will often seek to defend themselves. Consider wearing gloves and eye protection (sunglasses).
  • Where possible get someone to help you.
  • Be prepared. Keep a towel, box/carry container, large empty drink bottle and hand cleaner in your car.
  • Make sure the animal you are helping actually needs your care. Often birds that appear to be orphaned may just be waiting for a parent to return from foraging.
  • Do not feed or give water to the animal. The wrong feed can cause serious problems and some birds do not drink water.
  • Stress is a killer. Handle the animal as little as possible, get it into a suitable container as soon as possible and do it as quietly as possible. Temporary confinement could be a cardboard box, a tied off pillowcase or hessian sack, or a covered laundry basket.
  • In cold weather, fill an empty drink bottle with hot water, wrap in towel and place with animal to provide warmth.
  • In hot weather, use an air-conditioned car for transport.
  • Do not carry the animal in your lap in the car. This practice is dangerous for you as well as being stressful and dangerous for the animal.
  • Contact Native Animal Rescue for advice. They can be contacted on (08) 9249 3434 and are available to assist seven days a week.

Animals may harbor diseases that are transferable to humans, so wash your hands and your clothes after close contact.

Glove Box Guide for Injured Native Wildlife

 What do you do if you find an injured native animal? Who should you call for assistance?  

Download and print the Glove Box Guide for Injured Native Wildlife(PDF, 201KB) (PDF 2MB), or pick one up from any City of Swan Library, and place it in the glove box of your car. Then you will always have this information on-hand when you’re on the road.