Rate concessions

1. Overview

Certain concessions may apply if you're an eligible pensioner/senior, own farmland with a specified purpose, own a residential heritage listed property or if you are eligible for a sporting club concession.  

2. Pensioner/Senior

Eligible pensioners and seniors may be entitled to claim a rebate off their Annual Rates, Emergency Services Levy and the Specified Area Rates (if applicable) or defer payment.

To qualify for a rebate or deferment, you must be an owner and occupier of the property at July 1 in the year you're applying for the concession.

The following concessions are available:

  • Holders of a Seniors Card are entitled to receive up to a 25% capped rebate on rates (up to the value of $100.00), a 25% rebate on the Emergency Services Levy and up to 25% capped rebate on Specified Area Rates (if applicable).
  • Holders of a Seniors Card and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates (up to the value of $750), a 50% rebate on Emergency Services Levy and up to a 50% capped rebate on Specified Area Rates (if applicable). Deferment of each of these rates and charges may also apply.
  • Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates (up the the value of $750) a 50% rebate on Emergency Services Levy and up to a 50% capped rebate on Specified Area Rates (if applicable). If you receive the full 50% rebate (subject to capped amount), you'll also be eligible to defer your rates, Emergency Services Levy and Specified Area Rates (if applicable) until your property is sold or no longer occupied by yourself. However, if you choose to defer, you will forfeit your 50% rebate.

No penalties apply for deferring your rates. However, all other charges including the Rubbish Service Charge and any applicable Security Service Charge and Pool Inspection Fee are required to be paid in full by June 30 of the current financial year.

Please contact Centrelink, Department of Human Services and Department for Communities for more information about these concession cards.

How to Apply for Pensioner or Senior Rebate

You can use either of these options to apply:

  1. Call the Water Corporation on 1300 659 951 or visit their website. Once you have liaised with the Water Corporation, they will contact the City on your behalf. You will receive confirmation from the City.
  2. Alternatively, you can apply at either the City of Swan Administration Building or any City of Swan library. Please make sure you have your card(s) as a copy will be required to submit with a completed application.

Additional Benefits 

  • May be eligible to defer (subject to criteria); and
  • Eligible Pensioners/Seniors have until June 30 of the current financial year to pay their rates to receive the concession.
  • There are no interest penalties

3. Farmland Differential Rate Category

The City of Swan continues to offer a Farmland differential rate category.

To be eligible, your property must be used for food production, including:

  • dairy farming;
  • cattle farming;
  • sheep farming;
  • pig farming;
  • poultry farming;
  • fish farming;
  • beekeeping;
  • viticulture;
  • fruit and vegetable growing; and
  • the growing of crops.

In addition to the above, a substantial part of your livelihood must come from involvement in one of the businesses or industries above. If your property is less than 5,000 square metres and includes a residence, you won't be eligible to apply.

How to Apply for Farmland Differential Rate Category

Please complete the attached application form(PDF, 204KB)  and return it along with the following documents:

  • Profit and Loss Statement (certified by an accountant);
  • Signed Statutory Declaration stating that your property is used for one of the purposes mentioned above.

Applications for the concession must be received before June 30 of the current financial year, to be eligible for the next financial year.

4. Sporting Club Concession

A 75% rebate of rates applies as a donation to recreational and sporting associations upon application to Council each year. Please complete the attached sporting club concession application form(PDF, 81KB). The association’s constitution and current audited financial statements along with a covering letter must be submitted to verify that the association is not conducted for the financial profit of members and accordingly qualifies as a “sporting association” in accordance with section 6.47 of the Local Government Act 1995.

5. Application for rates exemption

The Application for rates exemption form(PDF, 114KB) is to be used by organisations seeking exemption from rates, pursuant to the provisions of Section 6.26 of the Local Government Act 1995. In doing so you are objecting to the rate book under Section 6.26(2)() of the Local Government Act 1995. The application for exemption will be checked based on the information you have provided, and you will be advised of the outcome in due course. Please attach any additional documents requested, as failure to do so may result in the application being refused. The Application for Rates Exemption Form can be submitted via email swan@swan.wa.gov.au or mailed to: 

City of Swan
C/-Rates Department
PO BOX 196