Are you prepared for winter storms?
Now is the time to ensure your home, business and family are prepared for storms.
Dangerous storms are the most common natural hazard in Australia and can cause significant damage to property and also pose a threat to people, animals and the environment.
The impact of storms can be reduced by planning and preparation. Some of the things you can do to keep your family and property safe include:
- trimming branches around the home to prevent them falling on roofs or cars
- hiring a contractor to clear trees from power lines
- clearing gutters and downpipes of leaves and blockages
- checking the roof for cracked ridge capping, loose tiles or loose nails
- preparing an emergency kit with a portable battery operated radio, torch, spare batteries and a first aid kit.
For more information about what to do before, during and after a storm visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au/wintersafe.
Need help during a storm?
For life threatening emergencies call 000
For SES assistance call 132 500