Lighting fires on your property can be extremely dangerous. To help reduce the risk, Prohibited and Restricted dates are set according to seasonal conditions and may be adjusted. General information, legal requirements and dates are available in the Fire Season Guide brochure.
Unrestricted Burning period
The City of Swan is now in the unrestricted burning period which means that you can burn without a permit. The unrestricted period runs from June 1 until September 30. These dates may be amended due to seasonal conditions. Please note that due to the impact of smoke, burning is still prohibited on land under 2000 m2.
Winter is an ideal time to start preparing your property for the upcoming fire season. The City encourages property owners to take advantage of this safer period to conduct their fire hazard reduction burning, particularly if you choose to use fire to reduce the fuel load on your property.
When conducting a burn please note that care must be exercised:
- The burn must be conducted in an area that is surrounded by fire breaks
- Rake around dead trees to minimise the risk of them catching alight
- Notify your neighbours prior to lighting up
- Be in attendance and control of the burn at all times (it is preferable that a minimum of two adult able-bodied persons should be present for duration of the burn)
- Have the ability to extinguish the fire if the conditions change (water or manual methods)
- Do not burn damp, wet or green material as this will cause excessive smoke
- Fires are to be immediately extinguished should smoke blow across public roads causing visibility to be reduced.
Further advice on winter burning can be found online at DFES.
To listen to a recorded message with general season information, extensions and seasonal bans call the City of Swan Fire Information Line on 08 9267 9326 or check the City's fire page .