Malaga is one of the City's major industrial areas and our largest employment centre. Covering an area of 660 hectares, Malaga is located just 13 kilometres from the Perth CBD, and 19 kilometres from the Kewdale interstate road/rail freight terminals and Perth’s international and domestic airports. Major transport networks nearby include the Mitchell Freeway and the Reid, Roe and Tonkin Highways.

Since its commencement in the mid 1980’s, Malaga now has more than 3,000 businesses providing employment for 16,000 workers with 20% being Swan residents and another 50% residing in neighbouring local government areas. The top four industries of employment are Manufacturing, Construction, Wholesale Trade and Retail Trade who together employ about 70% of all workers in Malaga. A recent Retail Needs Analysis has shown that almost 20% of retail turnover within the City of Swan can be attributed to spending in Malaga's “homemaker” retail sector.

Located in the south west corner of the City of Swan, Malaga is surrounded by the residential suburbs of Ballajura to the north; Kiara, Beechboro and Bennett Springs to the east; Noranda, Morley and Dianella to the south; and Mirrabooka and Koondoola adjoining the City's western boundary. 

Area statistics


Size of Malaga
660 hectares
Number of businesses
3,000 (approx)
Top 3 industry sectors
  • Construction
  • Manufacturing
  • Wholesale trade
Transport links
  • Reid Highway
  • Roe Highway
  • Beach/Marshall Road (East/West)
  • Hepburn Avenue
  • Tonkin Highway
  • Alexander Drive (North/South)
  • Beechboro Road
  • Malaga Drive
Number of workers
16,000 (approx)
Latest developments
South east corner of Malaga developed with lots varying in size from 506m2  to 1,012m2