Council Elections

Local government ordinary elections are held every two years, on the third Saturday in October.

The next City of Swan election is scheduled for Saturday, October 19, 2019.

The City's elections are conducted as postal elections by the Western Australian Electoral Commission. The Commission appoints a Returning Officer who oversees the elections which includes taking candidate nominations and supervising the count on election night.

The City of Swan currently has 15 Councillors representing five wardsCouncillors are elected for four-year terms, with half of the Councillor’s terms concluding at each ordinary election.


The vacancies at the 2019 election are:

Ward Vacancy Term
Altone One Councillor Four years
Midland / Guildford Two Councillors Four years
Pearce Two Councillors Four years
Swan Valley / Gidgegannup One Councillor Four years
Whiteman Two Councillors Four years

How to nominate as a candidate

Nominating for Council

Any eligible elector can stand for election as a City of Swan Councillor. Skilled and interested community members are encouraged to nominate. To check your eligibility to nominate in the council election, please see the WA Electoral Commission website.

If you’re considering running for Council, the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website contains comprehensive information on the process, expectations and responsibilities of Councillors. You can also find resources on how to run an election campaign and information on voting.

The WA Electoral Commission are administering the City of Swan local government election in 2019. The Commission also provide great resources for candidates including information on the disclosure of gifts and the appointment of scrutineers.

Returning Officer

The City’s Returning Officer is responsible for the conduct and processes associated with the City of Swan local government elections. The Returning Officer is able to provide further information for prospective candidates including guides and forms for candidates and scrutineers.

The City’s Returning Officer, as appointed by the WA Electoral Commission is:

Adrian Malkovic
Mobile:  0422 323 915

Nomination submissions

Nominations are to be finalised and lodged in person with the City’s Returning Officer, who is responsible for the local government election once the nomination period opens.

An acceptable nomination requires:

  • Completion of Candidate Induction via Department of Local Government. This is a new requirement of the Local Government Act and is compulsory prior to nominating.
  • A completed nomination form. For elections being run by the WA Electoral Commission, it is recommended that candidates use Nomination Builder to complete their nomination form and construct their candidate profile. More information can be found on the WA Electoral Commission website.
  • A profile of the candidate (up to 150 words), prepared in accordance with the regulations.
  • A nomination deposit of $80 in the form of cash, bank cheque or money order.
  • A photograph (optional).

Candidates are encouraged to make an appointment with the City’s Returning Officer well before nominations close to discuss nominations. The City’s Returning Officer will be available at the City of Swan Administration Centre for appointments during the nomination period.

Candidate Profiles

Nominations to become a candidate in the City of Swan 2019 Local Government Election closed at 4pm on Thursday, September 12, 2019.

The profiles of all the Candidates who nominated are as follows.

Altone Ward

Vacancies - 1 Councillor 

GALE-Patricia(PDF, 41KB)

NICHOLS-Fiona Erica(PDF, 50KB)

SHAH-Prasheel(PDF, 52KB)


Midland / Guildford Ward

Vacancies - 2 Councillors 







Pearce Ward

Vacancies - 2 Councillors

NORRIS-Andrew(PDF, 45KB)





Swan Valley / Gidgegannup Ward

Vacancies - 1 Councillor 

CAMILLO-Sebastian(PDF, 43KB)

BAWDEN-Haydon(PDF, 49KB)



Whiteman Ward

Vacancies - 2 Councillors 


PARRY-Bryce(PDF, 57KB)









Voter information

If you live in or are an owner or occupier of rateable property within the City of Swan and you meet the voter eligibility criteria, you are entitled to vote in the local government elections.

Electoral roll

The City’s electoral roll is comprised of two parts; the residents roll and the non-residents owners and occupiers roll. Combining these two rolls produces the consolidated roll. In Western Australia, when you enrol to vote at your home address, you are automatically included in the Commonwealth, State and local government rolls. 

If you own or rent property in the City of Swan but you don’t live in that property, you may be entitled to be included in the non-resident owners and occupiers roll. Body corporate's may apply for up to two eligible electors to be on the roll.

If you live in the City of Swan but don’t own property, you may be entitled to be included in the residents roll.

Enrolment for the 2019 election closes at 5pm on Friday, August 30, 2019.

Residents roll

People who reside in the City (irrespective of whether they own the property or are tenants) and who are on the State electoral roll for that property will be on the residents roll automatically and can vote in the City of Swan local government election. No separate enrolment is necessary.

Enquiries about the residents roll should be directed to the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 or you can check your current enrolment details online.

Non-resident owners and occupiers roll 

The non-resident owners and occupiers roll is maintained by the City of Swan. It is for individuals who own or occupy rateable property in the City and are enrolled to vote at another address.

Each person applying to go onto this roll must be on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll for a property outside the City’s district.

Any person who is not an Australian citizen (and thus not eligible to be on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll) may still be able to vote in local government elections if the person appeared on the City’s 1996 electoral roll, and has owned or occupied rateable property within the City continuously since at least March 1996.

Enrolment of non-resident owners or occupiers is not automatic. Enrolment claims can be lodged at any time, however enrolments close 50 days before any election day. For the 2019 election, the rolls close at 5pm on Friday, August 30, 2019.

Complete the enrolment eligibility claim form for sole or one of two owners or occupiers(PDF, 62KB) if you are:

  • an individual who owns property in a City of Swan ward but does not live there
  • an individual who does not own but is occupying a property in a City of Swan ward for at least the next 3 months continuously and under a legal agreement.

Complete the enrolment eligibility claim form to register a nominee(PDF, 57KB) if you are:

  • a non-resident individual of a property owned or occupied by three or more individuals
  • a nominee of a body corporate that owns a property in the City of Swan
  • a nominee of a body corporate that does not own but is occupying a property in the City of Swan ward for at least the next three months continuously and under a legal agreement.

For further information about the non-resident owners and occupiers roll call 9267 9267. 

How to vote

The City holds postal elections, which are conducted on the City's behalf by the Western Australian Electoral Commission.

Voting packages are mailed to all eligible electors about three weeks prior to election day. The package will include a list of candidates, ballot papers, instructions on how to vote and a declaration. To vote, follow the instructions included in the package.

Completed voting papers should be returned by post as per the instructions included in the voting package.  If you do not think that your postal voting package can be returned by post in time, you can deliver it by hand to a polling official:

 If you do not receive or have lost your voting papers, please contact the City’s Returning Officer.

Election signage

An election sign is a sign encouraging a person to vote for a particular political candidate or group. Election signage is governed by the City’s Policy POL-C-161 Election Signs(PDF, 59KB).

If you’re unsure about this policy or you have any questions about its application, please contact the City of Swan on 9267 9267.