Building approval process
The following online information, A guide to the building approvals process in Western Australia, provides an overview of the building approval process and is relevant whether you are building a house, an office, a shed, a swimming pool safety barrier or planning renovations that require building approval.
It includes sections on:
- the State’s building legislation
- the various types of permits and application processes
- exemptions from requiring a permit that may apply
- building standards and certifying compliance
- retrospective approval of unauthorised work
- what to do if work will affect other land
- the roles and responsibilities of those involved.
Please note this guide does not replace the requirement for you to refer to the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012 when making a formal decision.