Objecting to your Valuation

The Valuer General's Office provides all property valuations used for Council rating purposes. If you believe your property valuation is too high, you have the right to object to the valuation used to set your rates. This objection, however, only relates to the valuation of your property.

The online objection form is now available on Landgate’s webpage Lodging an Objection, under the Q&A's 'How do I lodge an objection on my GRV, UV or pastoral rent value?'. If you require more information please visit Landgate's website or call Customer Service on 08 9273 7373.

Objection against the Basis of Valuation applied to my property

If you decide to query your rates or interim notice, please keep the following in mind:

  1. Your written query must be made within 60 days from the date of issue of your Annual Rate Notice or Interim Rates. If you'd like more information, please contact the Valuer General's Office.
  2. You must still pay the required amount while your objection is being reviewed. If your rates are amended, an Interim Rate Notice will be sent to you.

Objections and Reviews

Objections to the Rate Book must be made in writing to the City within 42 days of the date of issue of the Rate Notice. The grounds on which objections may be made are outlined in the Local Government Act 1995, Section 6.76. The ratepayer should note that the rates must be paid as assessed irrespective of whether an objection has been lodged. Any reduction in rates as a result of a successful objection will be credited. 

How are my rates calculated?

Rate  x  Valuation  +  Additional Charges  =  Amount Due (Subject to minimum payment)

To check the Gross Rental Value (GRV), divide the GRV (located on the Annual Rate Notice) by 52. This gives you the amount that the Valuer General believes is a realistic weekly rental for your property. The Unimproved Valuation (UV) is based on site value (ie what the land is worth).  Find out more about how your rates are calculated.