Council Rates - Additional Charges
Included in your annual rates are charges for other necessary community services. Not all of these additional charges apply to all residents. If applicable, you'll see these charges listed as separate items on your annual rate notice. Additional charges may apply to the following services.
Rubbish Service Charge
An annual fee, currently $436, is charged for waste and recycling collection services. A one-off establishment fee, currently $67, is payable for each new bin (whether household or recycling) requested.
Emergency Services Levy (ESL)
All property owners in Western Australia are required to contribute to the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (ESL). Local Government collects the Emergency Services Levy on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).
The Levy collectively pays for the development and maintenance of Fire Stations, Volunteer Fire Brigades, State Emergency Service units and the Volunteer Emergency Services unit. The Emergency Services Levy is clearly identified on your rates notice. If you have any queries about the ESL, please contact DFES head office on 1300 136 099 or visit their website at dfes.wa.gov.au. For 2021/22 Council levied $21 million compared to $19 million in 2020/21.
Security Service Charge
A service charge for security services is required in 2021/22 for designated areas within the City of Swan. For further information, see Security Patrols.
Swimming Pool Inspection Fee
The annual fee per swimming pool/spa barrier inspection is $38.
State Government Legislation requires the City to physically inspect the safety barriers for all private swimming pools and spas to ensure compliance with safety standards. The fee charged to property owners is to cover this requirement. If your pool/spa is removed, please advise the City in writing to ensure this charge is cancelled.
For further information on the Licence Inspection process please contact the City on 9267 9267.
Midland and Hazelmere/Guildford
The City of Swan is responsible for the construction and maintenance of drainage infrastructure in the Midland, Guildford, South Guildford, Hazelmere and parts of Woodbridge and Viveash areas. As a result, residents in these areas are charged an annual levy for this service.
Midland and Hazelmere/Guildford Drainage Specified Area Rate
- The Water Corporation does not perform drainage works, or charge a drainage rate, in the Midland, Guildford, South Guildford, Woodbridge and parts of Viveash and Hazelmere.
- The City is responsible for construction and maintenance of drainage infrastructure within this area, and the total cost to carry out these works over a number of years is estimated at $25 million.
- This Specified Area Rate is shown separately on your Rate Notice.
- The calculation method for the Specified Area Rate is the same as the calculation of your Rates "GRV multiplied by the rate in the dollar".
- The 2021/22 rate in the dollar for Midland District Drainage is $0.006578 and $0.006657 for Hazelmere/Guildford Drainage District.
Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure Specified Area Rate
- From July 1, 2015, Council introduced two (2) Specified Area Rates "GRV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure and UV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure" based on the basis of valuation applied to the property, either GRV or UV.
- The City is responsible for construction and maintenance of the roads, footpaths and drainage infrastructure in the current and future industrial areas in Hazelmere.
- The total cost to carry out these works over a number of years is estimated at $69 million.
- This Specified Area Rate is shown separately on your rate notice. Properties rated on GRV will be levied GRV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure and those rated on UV will be levied UV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure.
- The rate in the dollar for 2021/22 for GRV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure is $0.03896277 and UV Hazelmere Industrial Area Infrastructure $0.00107720