Burn Permit Information


Unrestricted Burning Period

Permit to burn is currently not required.

The City of Swan is currently in the unrestricted burning period and residents on lots over 2000 sqm may burn without obtaining a permit.

Health restrictions for smoke still apply on lots under 2000sqm. Due to the impact of smoke in built up areas, no burning of garden vegetation is not allowed. Fire pits/space heaters can be used if using dry clean wood.

During restricted burning periods (April - May and Oct - Nov)

All burning is prohibited and permits to burn are automatically suspended on days when the fire danger rating is Very High or above, or a Total Fire Ban or Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban is declared. This includes the burning of garden refuse, cooking fires, incinerators and any other exemptions.

During the restricted period you are not permitted to burn without a burning permit. If your property is greater than 2000m2 you may be able to burn a pile of garden refuse without a permit. Please visit Burning Garden Refuse for conditions and further information. 

Appling for a burning permit during restricted burning periods

Burn permits can be applied for online; or in person by contacting your local volunteer bushfire brigade, or for the metropolitan area by contacting City of Swan.

Volunteer Bush Fire Control Officers’ ability to issue permits may vary in some instances. Please assist them by planning your permit requirements early.

Fire Control Officers are not obligated to issue permits to burn and may provide advice on alternatives to burning. Abusing a Fire Control Officer for not issuing a permit will not be tolerated.

Due to current and forecasted weather conditions permits are only being issued for:

  • Single or multiple heaps no more than 25 square meters in total
  • Stubble burns for agricultural reasons
  • Note: no permits for running bush fire will be issued at this time


If a permit is issued, it will have compulsory conditions set relevant to current and forecasted weather and your circumstances. Further conditions may be imposed at the discretion of the permit issuing officer.

During restricted burning periods, permits can be applied for at the following locations:

  • Online (link will be available during restricted burning periods)
  • Metropolitan DFES (Department of Fire & Emergency Services) Fire and Rescue District
    Within the metropolitan area (Career Fire and Rescue response area) permits to burn are issued by the City of Swan Community Safety Advocates subject to a site inspection.
    Contact: 9267 9267
  • East Gidgegannup Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
    Permits are issued at the Gidgegannup Fire Station on Saturdays, 8.30–10am.
    Address: 2071 Toodyay Road, Gidgegannup
    Contact: 9574 6000
  • West Gidgegannup Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
    Permits are issued at the West Gidgegannup Fire Station on Saturdays, 8.30–10am.
    Address: Corner of O'Brien & Toodyay Road, Gidgegannup
    Contact: 9574 6536
  • East Swan Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
    Permits are issued at the East Swan Fire Station on Sundays, 9–11am.
    Address: 270 Cathedral Avenue, Brigadoon
    Contact: 9296 1288
  • Bullsbrook Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
    Permits are issued at the Bullsbrook Fire Station on Sundays, 9–11am.
    Address: Corner of Chittering Road and Maroubra Ave, Bullsbrook
    Contact: 9571 2099

For further information regarding fire safety requirements visit the fire safety information section of our website or for the latest Fire Information Message call 9267 9326.