Burning Garden Refuse during the Restricted Period
Our volunteer brigades are already working in a high risk environment but now could also potentially expose themselves to COVID-19 when responding to your fire. We kindly ask you exercise extreme vigilance if you are conducting a burn during the Restricted Period.
Please help us all stay safe and ensure you regularly check you burn up to 48 hours after completion to prevent re-ignition and escaped burns.
During the Restricted Burning Period, you may be able to burn 1m2 of garden refuse provided you meet all of the requirements listed below:
- The Fire Danger Rating is not Very High or above.
- A Total Fire Ban, or a Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban has not been declared.
- Your property is larger than 2000m2.
- The pile is only lit between 6pm and 11pm.
- It is fully extinguished by midnight.
- The pile is less than 1 cubic metre.
- Only one pile alight at any time.
- A 5 metre wide area clear of flammable material completely surrounds the pile.
- The material you burn is only dry vegetative matter.
- A person capable of and appropriately equipped to control the fire is in attendance at all times.
- You notify your neighbours of your intention to burn.
- You register your burn with the DFES Communication Centre on 9395 9209.
- The smoke does not cause nuisance to neighbours or present a hazard to road users.