Unrestricted Burning period
The City of Swan is now in the unrestricted burning period which means that you can burn without a permit. The unrestricted period runs from June 1 until 30 September. These dates may be amended due to seasonal conditions.
Note: due to the impact of smoke, burning is still prohibited on land under 2000 m2.
Winter is an ideal time to start preparing your property for the upcoming fire season. Particularly if you choose to use fire to reduce the fuel load on your property. The City encourages property owners to take advantage of this safer period to conduct their fire hazard reduction burning.
When conducting a burn please note that care must be exercised:
- The burn must be conducted in an area that is surrounded by fire breaks;
- Rake around dead trees to minimise the risk of them catching alight;
- Notify your neighbours prior to lighting up;
- Be in attendance and control of the burn at all times (preferable a minimum of two adult able-bodied persons should be present for duration of the burn);
- Have the ability to extinguish the fire if the conditions change (water or manual methods);
- Do not burn damp, wet or green material as this will cause excessive smoke;
- Fires are to be immediately extinguished should smoke blow across public roads causing visibility to be reduced.
Further advice on winter burning can be found at https://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/plannedburning/