Useful information - bushfire February 2021

Evacuation Centre

Evacuation Centres

The Department of Communities has opened two additional evacuation centres. Evacuation centres are now located at:

All who need a safe place will be welcome.

Visit DFES for latest fire updates or

Road Closures 

Please be aware of road closures, bushfire behaviour and what firefighters are doing when traveling to and from an evacuation centre.

Road closure - DUE TO BUSHFIRES

 Roads are now open to local traffic.

There may be some interruptions while our crews work in the fire impacted area to make it as safe as possible.

A message to the wider community: it is important that our residents can go back and visit their homes unimpeded. Please respect their wishes for privacy at this time and do not try to access the area if you do not need to be there.

Up to date road information is available by visiting or Information can also be found by following DFES on facebook


You must protect yourself and your family from the immediate danger of the bushfire first and foremost. Even if you are in lockdown or have been personally directed to quarantine for COVID-19 you must do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe.

People who have been personally directed to self-isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19, and anyone in a region subject to lockdown restrictions, should find alternative suitable premises and wear a mask. If this is not possible, proceed to the evacuation centre and identify yourself to centre staff immediately on arrival.

Protocols are in place to minimise COVID-19 risk at the evacuation centre and you must follow the directions of centre staff. 

Continue to follow COVID-19 precautions and maintain appropriate physical distancing. Please take any essential items such as medications and identification to the evacuation centre.

Damaged properties

Unfortunately, the bushfire has so far claimed a number of homes in the City of Swan. We will work closely with DFES to identify the owners of those homes, let them know and provide all the support we can to them. 

Restricted Access Permits 

For people who are staying to defend their property, it is too dangerous to be driving in and out of the fire incident.
  • Wherever possible arrange for family or friends to bring your supplies to the vehicle control point for you to collect.
  • As a last resort call 13 DFES which is currently operational between 8am to 8pm - and they will make contact with the Incident Management Team on your behalf.
  • Crews are working hard to make the area safe to be able to provide Restricted Access Permits to residents.
  • When the area is deemed safe, residents will be able to return under a managed process.
  • This will be done systematically, progressing from the eastern side to the western side of the fireground.
  • No Restricted Access Permits are being issued currently.
  • When Restricted Access Permits become available, information about applying for a permit will be updated in this section.
For more information about restricted access permits visit the Restricted Access Permits section of the DFES website or click here.


Financial Assistance

If you’ve been adversely affected by the bushfires you may be eligible for financial assistance. 

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

If you’ve lost income as a direct result of the bushfires you may be eligible for the Disaster Recovery Allowance.

  • To claim: call 180 22 66
  • For more information go to 
  • You can claim for the following Local Government Areas: City of Swan and Shire of Mundaring 


Free Financial Counsellors are on standby to assist people impacted by the bushfires: 
  • Assistance and information on Insurance matters
  • Assistance with hardship grants and payments
  • Accessing crisis accommodation

Call Midlas on (08) 9250 2123, for an urgent appointment.

Waste removal

The City is collecting general waste and recycling bins where the roads are open to traffic. We will also arrange a bulk verge junk collection in the coming weeks, and will be supporting residents with property clean ups.

Pets and animals

Pets (except recognised assistance animals) are not allowed inside evacuation centres for health and safety reasons, so you should make alternative arrangements for them. If this is not possible, please still proceed to the evacuation centre with your pets and await further advice.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is commencing animal welfare checks in safe areas.  The City’s advocates, along with Shire of Mundaring Rangers and a team of vets, will continue to support their efforts.

This team will be conducting a grid (paddock to paddock) search for pets, wildlife and livestock.

If you are aware of, or have any concerns for pets, wildlife or livestock, you can contact the City on phone 9267 9267. Please provide a description of the animal, where the animal is located and any information on their condition.

More information on managing animals in emergencies is available on the DPIRD website.

Wanneroo Showgrounds is now open as an animal evacuation point to house livestock and domestic animals impacted and displaced by the Wooroloo fire. If you have evacuated and need assistance contact the City of Wanneroo on 9450 5000 or 0427 025 255 (after hours) to make arrangements.

If you have space at your property to shelter animals affected by the fires, feel free to comment on our Facebook post to offer your assistance with animals to others - Alternatively register with Volunteering WA to offer accommodation.

Where to get immediate help

If you are impacted by the bushfire, there are people and organisations that can help you.

  • Please visit the Emergency WA website for the latest fire information.
  • Power: There are currently a number of power outages. For further details visit: or call 13 13 51
  • Insurance: For insurance matters, contact your insurer directly or for further advice contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1300 728 228.
  • Wildlife welfare - If you've found injured wildlife, call the Wildcare Helpline on 9474 9055.
  • Wellbeing - Being involved in a bushfire emergency can be sudden and overwhelming. It is normal for people to feel unsettled and disrupted for a while. In most cases there are no signs of physical injury, but there can be an emotional impact. If you notice symptoms like depression, anxiety, sadness, anger, fatigue, nightmares and difficulty concentrating that linger a few weeks from now, it is important to seek help from a counsellor or your doctor.

Register with Register.Find.Reunite to let your family and loved ones know you're OK and where you will be relocating to  from any computer or

Ways to help

We deeply appreciate the generosity of our community, and thank everyone who has reached out to lend a hand, however for the safety of everyone, please remain at home if it is safe to do so.

We are well stocked with food and water at our evacuation centres.

If you want to volunteer your time to help with the bushfires, or offer accommodation, please register with Volunteering WA who will pass on your details to the relevant organisations. Emergency relief organisations are on hand to assist people affected by the devastating bushfires and Volunteering WA are working together with them.

Please hold any donations until after this incident has eased as we are unable to process an influx of goods while we are focusing on the response.

The Lord Mayor's Distress Relief Fund has also been set up if you'd like to make a financial donation

If you have space at your property to shelter animals affected by the fires, feel free to comment on our Facebook post to offer your assistance with animals to others -   

A full list of charities and organisations accepting donations can be found on the DEFS website.

Other useful contacts: 

  • DFES phone number - 13 DFES (13 3337)
  • Road information from Main Roads - 138 138 or visit
  • Health Direct - 1800 022 222