Building and planning approvals after a fire

Design Review.jpg

We are prioritising building and planning approvals for those impacted by the fires and will work with you through the rebuilding process.

View the Wooroloo Bushfire Recovery and Rebuilding Community Information Presentation(PPTX, 774KB) to find out about rebuilding in fire affected areas. You can also view our planning Frequently Asked Questions page for more in depth information relevant to fire affected community members.   

A City of Swan Building Officer will be stationed at the Bushfire Recovery Centre every Wednesday between 10am and 4pm for the foreseeable future. If you have an enquiry about the building process around rebuilding a house or shed, please come and have a chat with us. The Building Officer can also provide general information on planning matters.



We will work to make the process as simple as possible for those wanting to rebuild and fix their homes following the bushfires. Legislative restrictions do apply though.  

You can find information about the building approval process on our Building and Structures page, with specific information about homes, sheds, rainwater tanks and more. Also view our frequently asked questions page for answers to commonly asked questions in relation to building after the fires.

At the request of the City of Swan and as a gesture to support recovery in the affected communities, the Building Commission recently waived the building services levy for building permits associated with recovery.

The City has also requested the Building and Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) consider a similar gesture regarding the fees due to them, and are currently awaiting a response.

At the Ordinary Council Meeting in April it was resolved that the following list of fees be waived for those impacted by the bushfires:

  • Planning application fees
  • The component of building permit / certificate application fees that are retained by the City
  • Onsite effluent disposal fees  
  • Camping / caravan application fees
If you’ve had a BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) assessment completed for your property, you can claim for a reimbursement through the City, thanks to the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund. 

All you need to do is provide your bank details and a tax invoice showing you paid for and had a BAL assessment undertaken for your property, and present it to the City either in person, or by email to or