Financial support - bushfires

If you’ve been adversely affected by the bushfires you may be eligible for financial assistance. 

BAL grants

If you’ve had a BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) assessment completed for your property, you can claim for a reimbursement through the City, thanks to the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund. 

All you need to do is provide your bank details and a tax invoice showing you paid for and had a BAL assessment undertaken for your property, and present it to the City either in person, or by email to or

Rates relief and building/planning fees to be waived

City of Swan Council have voted to apply rates concessions to bushfire-affected residents and waive building and planning application fees for three years, representing an estimated $476,000 saving for ratepayers and those rebuilding in the fire affected area.

For ratepayers, the decisions made at the April 14 Council Meeting means:

  • For properties that are damaged but the house is habitable, the City will apply a one-off pro-rata credit for the 2020/21 Council rates for the period from 1 February to 30 June 2021.
  • For properties that are destroyed and the houses are not habitable, the City will apply a one-off credit for the full 2020/21 Council rates.
  • Total credits are estimated at $191,000, and does not apply to the Emergency Services Levy, as this charge is not under the City's control.
  • The total amount is subject to change dependant on number of applications.

The City will also waive fees for planning applications, building permits and certificates, onsite effluent disposal and for temporary accommodation under the Caravan Park and Camping Act for a period of three years, representing approximately $285,000 in concessions.

Anyone who was affected by the bushfire, and who has already paid a planning or building fee, will be refunded accordingly. 

Read the full story here

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

If you’ve lost income as a direct result of the bushfires you may be eligible for the Disaster Recovery Allowance.

  • To claim: call 180 22 66
  • For more information go to 
  • You can claim for the following Local Government Areas: City of Swan and Shire of Mundaring.


If you are a NAB customer and have been affected by the recent bushfires NAB is ready to support you. Please call the special number, 1300 308 132 to discuss the options that may be available to you. 


HBF is offering an exemption for HBF Premium fees. To discuss available options call 133 423.  


Midlas have free financial counsellors available to assist people impacted by the bushfires: 

  • Assistance and information on Insurance matters
  • Assistance with hardship grants and payments
  • Accessing crisis accommodation

Call Midlas on (08) 9250 2123, for an urgent appointment.

Rural West

Financial counselling for individuals and families experiencing financial distress as a result of the Wooroloo bushfire now available through Rural West

This service is an extension of what is already available to regional small businesses and primary production enterprises. The experienced Rural West team will work with clients to manage both immediate and underlying issues for a positive and sustainable future.

For more information visit - call the team on 1800 612 004 or email

Insurance & utilities

You may want to contact your insurance and utility companies to find out what financial support they have in place to help individuals and families affected by the bushfires. Some companies have agreed to waive various fees. Below are some useful links: