City of Swan Health Services
The City of Swan Health Services are a multi-disciplinary team of professionals committed to protecting public health in a Local Government context. We do this by managing health risks to the community using a range of approaches.
- There are over 1500 food premises registered in the City of Swan. Each year we conduct over 2100 inspections to ensure these businesses are being maintained and operated to the required standard.
- We receive about 1200 complaints a year on issues including noise, air pollution, food, pests and other health matters. 85% of the complaints are addressed within 30 days following an investigation.
- We issue over 400 licences and approvals annually for street trading applications, public events and effluent disposal.
Our key areas of responsibility include:
- Community health and wellbeing and promotion of healthy lifestyle choices
- Disease control - including notifiable and infectious disease investigation
- Food safety - approval of food premise activities, routine inspection of food operations, routine food sampling program, complaint investigation and free safe food handling education
- Hazardous materials - asbestos and contaminated sites
- Housing and accommodation - caravan parks and camping grounds, and houses unfit for habitation
- Other premise types - hairdressers and skin penetration premises, lodging houses and offensive trades
- Pest control and vectors of disease - flies, midges, mosquitoes, rats and mice
- Pollution and nuisance control - air quality, noise and other pollution
- Public buildings and events - approval of premise and routine inspection
- Safe water - monitoring of drinking water in areas not connected to scheme water, monitoring of recreational water quality and monitoring of public swimming pool water quality
- Wastewater disposal systems - approval of septics, ATU's and grey water systems, and complaint investigation.