Information for home based food businesses


Some low risk activities may be permitted in residential kitchens however more complex food processing activities will be required to be undertaken from purpose built commercial grade kitchens. 

Examples of permitted food preparation in residential kitchens

  • Jams
  • Cakes, biscuits, muffins and flour products which do not contain potentially hazardous food such as cream
  • Cake Decorating (eg traditional wedding cakes using traditional marzipan decoration only)
  • Chutneys, relishes and sauces that are heat treated by boiling or cooking
  • Herb vinegars with a pH of less than 4.5
  • Repackaging of bulk packaged low risk food products
  • Pickled onions
  • Food prepared as part of a Bed and Breakfast, Family Day Care Centre or similar operation.

Other foods may be approved by the City of Swan but only where they are assessed as a low risk and suitable for a residential kitchen.

What if I want to prepare medium or high risk food?

Medium or high risk foods may be prepared from a purpose built isolated commercial facility within the residential property eg. a spare bedroom can be fitted out to a commercial standard.

How do I obtain approval?

Food business proprietors intending to use a residential premises must submit the Home Based Food Business Registration Form(PDF, 277KB) to the City prior to operating. Like any other food premises, businesses operating from residential premises must comply with the legislative requirements.  For more information on these requirements please refer to the guidelines under information for food businesses .  

Other considerations, such as planning requirements for conducting a business from a residence and Building requirements for a fit out should also be considered. You should consult with the City’s Planning and Building Services on 9267 9267 for more information if intending to operate from a residential premises.