At the August 9, 2023 Ordinary Council Meeting – Council resolved to “Endorse the concept for the Ellenbrook Regional Leisure Centre and proceed with detailed design and construction, subject to agreement with the State Government”.
The highly anticipated Ellenbrook Leisure Centre will be built near the new Ellenbrook train station – and it will be bigger and better than originally planned.
Land set aside by the State Government will allow for the construction of a regional-level facility featuring a 50m pool, four indoor sports courts and much more.
The project has been one of the City of Swan’s key priorities, with funding commitments from the State and Federal governments, and a community in Ellenbrook which is passionate about having its own aquatic centre.
The City will develop a new design for the leisure centre – featuring a 50m outdoor pool, waterslides, three indoor pools and four indoor sports courts.
Benefits of the Ellenbrook Recreation and Aquatic Centre
- The centre will cater to the growing area population which is forecasted to reach more than 70,000 residents by 2036
- Residents will no longer need to travel 16km to the nearest indoor leisure centre
- The centre will have wide-ranging benefits for children, adults, the elderly, people of all abilities and sporting groups in the City of Swan catchment area and extending to areas such as Chittering, Toodyay and Bullsbrook
- The project will create 85 full-time jobs and indirectly support over 332 full-time equivalent positions
- The centre will be co-located within Ellenbrook, complementing existing sports fields and buildings.