Approvals are required for a wide range of business activities in Swan. View the information on this page to discover the types you may need.

Can’t see what you need? It might be on our Plan and Build pages. If you still have trouble finding what you need, contact us.

There are three types of home-based business categories:

  • Home business: where an occupier conducts a business that employs a maximum of two people who do not reside in the house, and is in an area of the home that is 50m2 of less.
  • Home office: where an occupier of the home undertakes administrative work with no customers attending the house.
  • Home occupation: where an occupier conducts a business in an area of the home that is 20m2 or less, and doesn't have customers arriving to the site.

Planning approval is required to operate a home business. Planning approval is generally not required to operate a home office or home occupation, depending on your zone.

Download Home Business Fast Track Customer Checklist Questionnaire for more information. 

Food businesses don’t need to submit an application for approval to the City's Health Services. However, you must comply with the Food Act 2018 and must submit either a New Food Business Registration Form or a Notification for an Exempt Food Business Form prior to operating.

You can find these forms and more details about food businesses in our public health section.

Street trading, alfresco dining and street entertainment licences can only be issued on City owned or controlled land. For trading on private property, please contact us.

When seeking planning approval for a liquor licence from the City's Statutory Planning team, submission of a Section 39 Certificate of Local Government application, and a Section 40 Certificate of Local Planning Authority application is required. View our Plan and Build page for more information

Back to of the page