Before developing in the City of Swan you will need Building Approval. This involves lodging permit applications before undertaking the works.

Review the information on this page to find out the type of application you need to make, learn about fees, timeframes and how to track your application.

You can apply online or via email/person/post. Select your preference below to be directed to the relevant information. Please note that online applications are our preference.

Submit an application online(open in new window).

View our user guide for using our online application portal.

Submit an application via email, in person or through post.

Under the Building Act 2011 the City has a fixed amount of time to grant or refuse a permit application. The point at which our timeframe for assessing an application starts is referred to as ‘starting the clock’. The clock starts at 12am the day after a complete application is received by the City.

The length of time the City has to consider an application is listed below:

Type of application Time the City has to decide
  • Building Permit
  • Demolition Permit
  • Occupancy Permit
  • Occupancy Permit - Strata
  • Building Approval Certificate
  • Building Approval Certificate - Strata
10 business days

Building Permit Uncertified (BA2)

(Class 1a and Class 10 buildings and incidental structures only)

25 business days

Ensure your application is complete and all required approvals have been obtained before submitting. If an application is incomplete, or the required approvals have not been obtained, an application may be refused and application fees are unlikely to be refunded.

If an applicant is required to provide additional information or document(s), these must be submitted to us within 21 days to avoid the application being refused.

Track my application(open in new window).

Please note, the online tracking facility gives an overview of key milestones in the application process, not a detailed history. 

For assistance, contact us and ask to speak to the Building Services Development Liaison Officer. Alternatively, send an email to

If an application is refused, you can lodge an appeal with the State Administrative Tribunal.

For more information about the appeal process, please refer to the State Administrative Tribunal website(open in new window).

Back to of the page