This statement provides information regarding the use of the City of Swan’s (City) website and the privacy of its users and their information. The City values the privacy of its customers and stakeholders and manages the privacy risks of the information it collects about them.
There are risks associated with the transmission of data through the internet. Users should make their own judgement of the potential risks when accessing the City’s website.
Collection and use of personal information
The City collects information about its customers and stakeholders:
- in the performance of its services and functions;
- as required by law;
- through correspondence, communication and service requests from customers and stakeholders; and
- through online data and metadata collection.
Generally, when users submit information or lodge a service request to the City, the City uses that information to respond to their correspondence or service request.
Site data collected
When users access the City’s various websites (including www.swan.wa.gov.au, Swan Engage(open in new window) and the City’s rates portal(open in new window)), the City logs a record of the user’s visit and information about the user. The City records this information:
- to perform the City’s services and functions;
- to improve the City’s services and functions;
- for statistical purposes;
- to monitor use and access of the City’s website;
- to monitor the frequency and type of information being accessed by users; and
- to customise and improve the website for users.
The types of information the City collects include:
- details of the server and internet provider users are accessing the City’s website from;
- details of the user’s access of the City’s website including webpages accessed, frequency and duration;
- details of the operating systems, devices (such as smartphones, tablets, laptops or desktop computers) and software used to access the City’s website; and details of any other website, social media platform, code or link that directed the user to the City’s website.
The City may also collect personal and sensitive information that you provide to the City.
Protection, security and storage
The City has a formal risk management framework under which it identifies and controls the risks of collecting, storing, protecting and using your information.
The City endeavours to ensure that information about you is stored securely and accessed appropriately.
All information including personal information collected is held on the City’s cloud storage, on servers located in Australia. The City retains effective control over any information held on the City’s cloud storage.
The City endeavours to protect the security of the information the City holds from both internal and external threats by:
- regularly assessing the risk of misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of that information;
- taking measures to address those risks, for example, keeping a record (audit trail) of when someone has added, or changed personal information held in our electronic databases and regularly check that City staff only access those records when they need to;
- conducting regular internal and external audits to assess whether the City has adequately complied with or implemented these measures.
Disclosure of information to third parties
The City will disclose customer and stakeholder information to third parties only in the following circumstances:
- with the consent of the customer or stakeholder, express or implied;
- as required by law; or
- to complete the purpose or function for which the information was provided.
Cookies are pieces of information or small files that the City’s website sends to a user’s device to record a user’s preferences when browsing the City’s website.
- Security - to enable features that help detect security threats;
- Customisation - to recognise returning users for measurement purposes and to better customise content to user preferences;
- Verification - to verify users and tailor content for users who have an account or have logged into the City’s services;
- Digital marketing and functionality - to record how users navigate the City’s website including page views and usage data and to customise content and deliver relevant digital communications. The City may use this data in conjunction with data received from other channels to share relevant advertisements.
The City uses various third party social media platforms to provide services and perform functions.
Each social media platform has its own privacy policies.
Google Analytics, Google Optimize and Google Tag Manager are services provided by Google, Inc. (Google).
The City will use Google Analytics, Google Optimize and Google Tag Manager information to:
- evaluate use of the City’s website and mobile site;
- receive reports for the City on website activity; and
- provide other services relating to website activity and Internet usage.
Google has its own privacy policies.
Third party links
The City’s website contains links to third party websites. This statement does not apply if a user accesses a link and exits the City’s website.
The City is not responsible for services or information on third party websites.
Accessing personal information
Under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (WA) (FOI), you have rights to access, correct and protect your personal information.
You can visit our FOI page for more information about your rights to access your personal information.
By opting in to receive SMS notifications from the City, you agree to the practices described below.
- Information Collection: We may collect personal information such as your name, phone number, and location when you subscribe to the City's SMS services. This information is voluntarily provided by you, and the City ensures it is collected lawfully and transparently
- Purpose of SMS Communications: The City of Swan will only use your provided phone number for the purpose of sending important updates, announcements, event reminders, and other relevant information related to City services, programs, and events
- Third-Party Involvement: The City does not sell, trade, or transfer your personal information to third parties for marketing or any other purpose without your explicit consent. Your data will be used solely for City of Swan communication
- Data Security: The City of Swan employs security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. However, please note that no method of data transmission over the internet or mobile networks can be guaranteed as completely secure
- Opting Out: You have the right to opt out of receiving SMS communications from the City of Swan at any time. To do so, follow the instructions provided in the SMS
- Data Retention: We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy or as required by law
The City attempts to ensure that the content presented on its website is accurate, current and reliable at the time it was created or last modified. To the extent permitted by law, the City disclaims liability for users accessing the City’s website including but not limited to:
- The accuracy of information on the City website;
- The appropriateness or functionality of services offered on the City’s website;
- Third party links;
- Any inability to access or use the City’s website or any part of it; and
- The use of automatic translation services to translate the City’s website.
Users must make their own enquiries and rely on their own decision making and professional advice in relation to information and services on the City’s website.
All content that appears on the City’s website, including but not limited to website pages, documents, graphics, audio and video, is protected by the Copyright Act 1968 and is owned by the City unless otherwise specified.
This privacy statement replaces all other privacy statements previously applicable from the date of this privacy statement’s first publication. The City may revise this privacy statement and disclaimer at any time.
If users wish to clarify anything about this site or have concerns regarding privacy, please contact the City.
- City, City of Swan, We, Us, Our all mean the City of Swan.
- Online Services Portal refers to the City’s eServices.swan.wa.gov.au website.
- Material means any information, text, symbol, logo, image, video, audio, document, file or other data uploaded on the Online Services Portal by the City.
- User Account means your personal registered account for the City’s Online Services Portal.
- You or Your means you as the person accessing the City’s Online Services Portal.
- You agree to provide the City with accurate and complete registration and User Account information and to retain, maintain and promptly update that information in the event of any changes.
- By registering for a User Account for a particular property You warrant that you are the registered owner of the property or have the written consent of all registered proprietors of the property to set up a User Account for the property.
- By registering to use the Online Services Portal as an 'individual' You must:
- be over the age of 18;
- provide an active email address;
- not share Your login details including password with anyone;
- agree to notify the City immediately of any unauthorised use of Your password or email account or any other breach of security related to Your User Account.
- By registering a User Account with the City’s Online Services Portal as a company, corporate body or organisation You:
- provide an active email address;
- provide Your name and contact details;
- provide an Australian Company Number (ACN), Australian Business Number (ABN), Builder’s Registration Number (BRN) or Certificate of Incorporation of an Association as applicable;.
- agree to restrict login details including passwords to only authorised personnel or representative of the company, corporate body or organisation;
- agree to notify the City immediately of any unauthorised use of Your password, email account or any other breach of security of Your User Account;
- accept that all authorised personnel will have full access to all information that the City may make available through the Online Services Portal.
- The City reserves the right at any time to modify, restrict or discontinue Your access to the Online Services Portal (or any part), with or without notice, temporarily or permanently without liability to You or Your company, corporate body or organisation or its members.
- General notices, invoices, and statements
- By registering for a User Account for the City’s Online Services Portal You acknowledge and agree:
- You are consenting to receive statements, notifications and notices relating to You electronically;
- You will no longer receive paper copies of documents, such as notices and invoices;
- the City is not responsible for non-receipt of documents such as invoices or notices once sent to You by the City by email;
- to regularly check Your mailbox and ensure Your mailbox is not 'full';
- to ensure Your mailbox does not have a diversion or a "forward all emails" facility in place;
- to ensure Your mailbox can receive documents such as invoices and rates notices in portable document format (PDF);
- to check that emails and notifications from the City are not filtered into Your junk mail;
- to pay Your accounts to the City by the due date to avoid interest penalties;
- that if You had previously registered to receive Your notices by email (such as the City’s eRates system) and the email address You use when You create Your User Account for the Online Services Portal is different, then the Online Services Portal email address You nominated will become Your single registered email address and will be used by the City to email future notices, regardless of the email address You previously registered with the City;
- the City does not warrant or represent that the information or Material on the Online Services Portal is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for Your intended use. Any advice contained on this Online Services Portal has been prepared without taking into account Your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any advice on the City’s Online Services Portal, we recommend that You consider whether it is appropriate for Your circumstances.
- You acknowledge that the City’s building application service does not provide a property history and should not be relied upon as a record of building approvals.
- Rates notices, invoices, and statements
- If You are a property owner, then by registering for a User Account for the City’s Online Services Portal You acknowledge and agree:
- future rates notices will be sent to Your nominated email address and dependent on the timing of Your request, You may receive one more notice posted to you before the email schedule is finalised;
- that rates notices will be emailed to the most recent email address You have provided to the City before the notice issue date. If You update Your email address, depending on the timing of this update, You may receive one more rates notice delivered to the previous email address before the request is finalised;
- that the City will only register one email address for Your rates accounts and all notices will be sent to the same email address, being the latest email address You provided to the City;
- that the City will not email rates notices for the same property to different email addresses. Similarly, the City will not post one notice to Your letterbox and email the other notices for the same property;
- that if You own multiple properties You will receive rates notices for all properties to Your nominated email address;
- by obtaining a rate account balance for Your property using Online Services Portal, You acknowledge and agree;
- the results displayed reflect the information held within the City's records which is current at the date first published on the Online Services Portal site and not necessarily at the time of the request, therefore the information may change in the time between the information being published and the time of access;
- the information displayed may not represent the full amount owing on the account (for example if charges are pending as a result of changes to the calculated rates, or if legally recoverable charges have been incurred due to action taken to recover overdue rates) and the balance of Your rates account as displayed through the Online Services Portal may not represent full and final settlement of the rates and charges owing by You to the City;
- if these circumstances apply to Your rates account, please email the City at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on Us on 08 9267 9160 for an up-to-date balance of Your account before making payment;
- if Your rates related request cannot be processed using the Online Services Portal, please email the City at email@example.com or phone Us on 08 9267 9160.
- Changes to the services
- You acknowledge that:
- the City may at any time modify, suspend or terminate the Online Services Portal. The City will use best endeavours to notify You at least 14 days prior to the services being, suspended or terminated;
- at times the Online Services Portal may undergo development or upgrade or cease to operate and You agree that in such circumstances prior notice of the event may not be given to You.
- You acknowledge that:
- User conduct and the use of Materials
- As a condition of use when accessing the Online Services Portal You must:
- only use the City’s Material for personal use or informative purposes;
- not modify or use the City’s Material in an improper manner, attribute Your use of the Material as a City Material, or present it as City Material without prior written consent of the City;
- not use or distribute the City’s Material or any derivative of the Material for profit or commercial purposes;
- not use, post or transmit using the Online Services Portal or using any other devices such as laptop, tablet or smart phone or on any social media forum any of the City’s Material that breach any laws or regulations, infringes upon a third party's privacy or legal rights;
- not use, post or transmit using the Online Services Portal or using any other devices such as laptop, tablet or smartphone or on any social media forum any of the City’s Material that interferes with other users or defames, harasses, threatens, menaces, offends or incites racial hatred or restricts any person, or inhibits any other user from using or enjoying the Online Services Portal;
- not use the Online Services Portal to send unsolicited and unwanted email messages to anyone or make any fraudulent or speculative enquiries, bookings, reservations or requests using the Online Services Portal;
- not use another person's identity information to access the Online Services Portal, including but not limited to, their name, address, username, password, rate reference number or postcode without their prior permission;
- not post, transmit or upload via the Online Services Portal any obscene, indecent, inflammatory or pornographic material, or material that could give rise to civil or criminal proceedings;
- not collect or attempt to collect any information or communication about any other users of the Online Services Portal;
- not attempt to undermine the security or integrity of the City’s computing systems or networks, or where the services are hosted by a third party, that third party's computing systems and networks;
- not attempt to gain unauthorised access to any Materials other than those to which You have been given express permission to access or to the computer system on which the services are hosted;
- not transmit, or input into the services or onto the Online Services Portal, any files that may damage, cause virus or corrupt any other person's computing devices or software (including by introducing any malicious software or code);
- not input into the services any content that may be offensive, or material or data in violation of any law (including data or other material protected by copyright or trademarks which You do not have the right to use); and
- not attempt to modify, copy, adapt, reproduce, disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer any computer programs used to deliver the services or to operate the Online Services Portal.
- As a condition of use when accessing the Online Services Portal You must:
- By accessing the Online Services Portal, You agree to the extent permitted by law, to discharge, indemnify and hold harmless City and its officers, employees, agents and related bodies from and against all actions, claims, suits, demands, damages, liabilities, costs or expenses arising out of, or in any way connected to, Your use of the Online Services Portal.