Social Media House Rules
The City of Swan’s vision and shared values aspire us to be a connected and cohesive community, value and celebrate the diversity of our people and places, and meet community expectations.
We are proud of our City, leading by example, setting direction, and providing guidance to help our people to be the best they can be. As part of this, we have created various social media channels to share up-to-date news and events, community updates and more.
Our hope is to create a welcoming, safe environment for the community to participate. We actively encourage comments and conversations. The City's social media channels are used in accordance with our Social Media Policy(PDF, 54KB) – that states how employees and representatives of the City of Swan are to conduct themselves while using social media; the Codes of Conduct, and the Strategic Community Plan.
We have also established the following set of House Rules which help us keep our social media channels welcoming, and free of inappropriate or disrespectful behaviour.
Comments on social media
Some questions require us to reach out to the relevant City staff members who have expertise in a particular area. In these instances, it may take longer for us to reply, in order for us to provide an accurate and detailed answer. Feel free to follow up if you have not heard back from us within three days, and we'll provide an update as to where your inquiry is at.
Please note that older posts are not monitored regularly and so in these instances, it is better to reach out to us directly via direct message, rather than commenting.
We are unable to monitor our social media channels 24 hours a day – our social media team is active from Monday to Friday during work hours. Any comments received outside of business hours will be responded to within business hours.
If you require urgent assistance from the City outside of business hours, please call 9267 9267 to be directed to our after hours service. If, at any time you would like to have a formal answer to your questions, please contact us via our online form, by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 9267 9267.
When participating, posting, commenting or otherwise on the City’s social media channels, we ask you to please keep conversations respectful and constructive. We have a responsibility to moderate these discussions.
Some examples of content deemed inappropriate, disrespectful or defamatory, include:
- comments not topically related to the particular site or post being commented upon
- profane language or content
- comments spreading false or misleading information
- engagement in deliberate ‘trolling’ or spamming
- content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race or creed, colour, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
- comments that abuse, harass or threaten others – including City of Swan staff and councillors
- sexual content or links to sexual content
- solicitations of commerce
- conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public
- content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party
Changes to House Rules
The City of Swan reserves the right to update House Rules as required.
Guidelines set by social media platforms
We encourage you to access the various guidelines and standards set by each of the social media platforms the City of Swan uses:
Facebook: Community Standards
Instagram: Community Guidelines
Twitter: The Twitter Rules
LinkedIn: Professional Community Policies
YouTube: Community Guidelines and policies
TikTok: Community Guidelines