What is homelessness?

Homelessness occurs when a person has no suitable accommodation, their dwelling is inadequate with no tenure or space for social relations. There are many factors that can lead to homelessness. These include:

  • Domestic and family violence
  • Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Financial difficulties
  • Housing affordability stress
  • Mental health challenges
  • Substance use challenges.

People experiencing homelessness have the same rights as any member of the public to:

  • Be in public places
  • Participate in public activities or events
  • Carry with them and store their own belongings.

How do we support people experiencing homelessness?

Local government plays a coordinating role, bringing together material, social and community resources to prevent and end homelessness. Homelessness is a critical issue and we are working collaboratively to support people at risk, or experiencing homelessness.

  • We support the coordination of the Midland Alliance to End Homelessness
  • City of Swan facilities are welcoming and inclusive spaces
  • Our frontline staff are trained and resourced to support people experiencing homelessness.

I’m looking for support




Entry Point

(08) 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684

Support and referrals for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness

Indigo Junction

(08) 9274 7929

25 Spring Park Road, Midland

Housing, youth and family services


(08) 9250 2123

12 Old Great Northern Hwy, Midland

Legal, financial and tenancy support

Head to Health

1800 595 212

23 Old Great Northern Highway, Midland

Mental health advice and support


(08) 6330 7070

18 Helena Street, Midland

Alcohol and other drugs support

Full list of services in the City of Swan

I’m concerned about someone

If you have concerns about someone sleeping rough, you should call a trusted service so they can manage the situation.






For incidents where life or property is in danger

WA Police

131 444

Non-emergency incidents that require police assistance

City of Swan

(08) 9267 9267

For enquiries concerning City of Swan facilities or public land

Crisis Care

1800 199 008

24/7 Crisis Accommodation support and advice

Mental Health Emergency Response Line

1300 555 788 | (08) 9224 8888

For people experiencing a mental health crisis

Back to of the page