Approval and licensing requirements for certain businesses


City requirements

Before taking over or starting a new building or business or leasing out your building to a new tenant, it is recommended that you ensure proper planning and building approvals have been issued. A change of use approval may be required if the intended business does not match the existing planning approval e.g. operating a mechanical workshop business in a warehouse.

All buildings are required to be approved by the City of Swan before construction takes place. Please be aware that any building onsite that has not been approved by the City will require retrospective approval from the City’s building and planning departments.

If you or your tenant is found to be breaching the planning approval for the property then the penalties are up to $50,000 with a daily penalty of $5000.

Other requirements

In addition to the City's requirements, a number of high impact activities require businesses to be licensed or registered with the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation. A complete list of prescribed premises can be found in Schedule 1 of the Environmental Protection Regulations 1987. If you operate a business that is prescribed under the Regulations, then you should make application to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation for a licence. An application form and further information about licensing can be obtained by contacting the Department.

Other licences that may also be applicable include licences issued by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety such as motor vehicle repairers certificates for various classes of motor vehicle repair work.