Disposal and discharge of waste


Waste material must only be removed by licensed waste contractors and taken away for recycling or disposal. Liquid waste must not be disposed of onsite unless approval to do so has been granted in writing by the City. Approval to dispose of liquid waste on site will only be granted in areas where sewer is not available. An Application to construct or install an apparatus for the treatment of sewage(PDF, 336KB) must be submitted to the City and approval granted before any waste can be legally discharged onsite.

In areas where sewer is available, it is unlikely that approval to discharge waste onsite will be granted by the City and you should contact the Water Corporation to make arrangements for a Trade Waste Permit for liquid waste.

More information and application forms regarding commercial and industrial liquid (trade) waste can be found on the Water Corporation’s website. The Water Corporation has a number of useful information sheets to provide further guidance on whether or not you may need a Trade Waste Permit.

Controlled waste

Some types of waste are classified by Regulation as Controlled Waste and can only be removed by suitably licensed controlled waste carriers. It is an offence for waste generators to use non-licensed carriers to remove this waste or to dispose of this waste in your general waste stream or on-site disposal system.

When controlled waste is removed from your business, you should be provided with a controlled waste receipt which contains details of the company engaged to remove the waste, the type of waste collected and the volume of waste removed for disposal. It is a legal requirement that you keep these receipts for at least three (3) years as an Environmental Health Officer can require you to produce copies of these receipts in order to confirm that these materials have been suitably disposed of.

Unauthorised discharges

Under the Environmental Protection (Unauthorised Discharges) Regulations 2004 it is an offence to discharge certain materials into the environment. This includes hydrocarbons (petrol and diesel), degreasers, paint and detergents. A full list of materials that must not be discharged into the environment and materials which must not be burnt so as to discharge visible smoke can be found in the Regulations.