Smoke nuisances


Activities where wood or vegetation is burnt create smoke that contributes to the pollution of our air. Smoke may be a nuisance in urban areas when produced in excessive quantities. Negative health impacts may also be experienced.

It is against the City’s laws to produce excessive smoke and cause a nuisance.

Development sites

Burning on a development site over 2000m2 is prohibited under the Environmental Protection Regulations 1987. This includes where multiple lots make up a total continuous area over 2000m2. Development work means work taken to develop the land such as clearing of vegetation, re-contouring, earthworks or construction.

Vegetation clearing as part of an agricultural purpose is exempt from this requirement however other requirements of the Bush Fires Act 1954 would apply.

Backyard burning

Refer to the City’s page on Burning restrictions for more information relevant to burning waste on your property in the City of Swan.

See the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation’s (DWER) Backyard burning brochure for further general information.

Domestic wood heaters

Wood heaters are a common source of home heating. If operated correctly they should produce minimal smoke. The DWER’s Home Heating brochure will help you with information on how to operate your wood heater correctly.

For more information on wood heaters and your health visit the DWER’s BurnWise webpage.

Wood BBQs, pizza ovens, chimineas and fire pits

The location and operation of these appliances is important so as not to create a nuisance to neighbours.

See the DWER’s brochure on Smoke – backyard barbeques, chimineas and outdoor pizza ovens for more information.

What to do if you are experiencing a problem with smoke?

Some options include;

  1. Speak with the person producing the smoke directly. They may not realise they are causing a problem and can then take action to fix it.
  2. Print out some information on the particular smoke issue from the DER website to give to them or put in their letterbox.
  3. If that person is not approachable or is not helpful contact the City of Swan on 9267 9267 to discuss further.