Building process information

The City controls the construction, occupation and demolition of buildings and incidental structures through the granting of building, demolition or occupancy permits and building approval certificates and the enforcement of compliance with permits.

We are responsible for:

  • ensuring that all applications are complete and in order and that all statutory requirements and approvals are in place
  • granting a permit or certificate when we are satisfied that an application complies with the Building Codes of Australia and all other relevant standards and legislation
  • listing conditions, required tests and/or inspections where applicable on permits or certificates
  • maintaining building records which can be made available to authorised people such as current and subsequent owners
  • enforcing and dealing with non-compliant buildings and incidental structures by inspecting and investigating building work and, where relevant, issuing infringement notices, building orders or commencing prosecution for non-compliance.
  • In addition to assessing and issuing permits and certificates, we also offer:
    • Archive searches for building plans and documents for buildings and incidental structures that were built, altered or renovated after 1980. For further information about the archive search process, please refer to building plans and documents.
    • Certification Services:
    • Certificate of Building Compliance (Class 10 only)
    • Certificate of Design Compliance (Class 2 – 9 only)
    • Certificate of Construction Compliance (Class 2 – 9 only)
    • Certificate of Building Compliance for a BA11 of BA15 Strata

For further information about the City’s Certifications Services please contact the City on 9267 9267.

Please note:

  • Park Home assessments: Building work for a Park Home or an Annex is regulated by the Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Act 1995.
  • Residential Design Codes (R-Code) Variation Assessments: The Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) are a State Planning Policy that guide the residential development of single, grouped and multiple dwellings within Western Australia. Find out more about the R-Code Variation approval process.