Burning Garden Refuse during the Restricted Period
Our volunteer brigades are already working in a high risk environment but now could also potentially expose themselves to COVID-19 when responding to your fire. We kindly ask you exercise extreme vigilance if you are conducting a burn during the Restricted Period.
Please help us all stay safe and ensure you regularly check you burn up to 48 hours after completion to prevent re-ignition and escaped burns.
Fire stations will not be open to the public this season.
During the Restricted Burning Period, you may be able to burn 1m2 of garden refuse provided you meet all of the requirements listed below:
- The Fire Danger Rating is not Very High or above.
- A Total Fire Ban, or a Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban has not been declared.
- Your property is larger than 2000m2.
- The pile is only lit between 6pm and 11pm.
- It is fully extinguished by midnight.
- The pile is less than 1 cubic metre.
- Only one pile alight at any time.
- A 5 metre wide area clear of flammable material completely surrounds the pile.
- The material you burn is only dry vegetative matter.
- A person capable of and appropriately equipped to control the fire is in attendance at all times.
- You notify your neighbours of your intention to burn.
- You register your burn with the DFES Communication Centre on 9395 9209.
- The smoke does not cause nuisance to neighbours or present a hazard to road users.