Section 40 application

A Liquor Licence is granted by the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor. The Department requires applicants to include a Section 40 Certificate as part of the application process. This certificate is obtained from the City of Swan.

A Section 40 application ensures a liquor licence does not contravene or contradict an existing planning decision or requirement. We may include conditions on a Section 40 Certificate to ensure the liquor licence fits within the parameters of a planning decision or requirement.

You will need to make a Section 40 application if you plan to submit a Liquor Licence request to the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Alongside your Application Form, you will need to submit a site plan showing the area(s) to be licenced and a copy of the application to be lodged with the Liquor Licensing Board.

Submit your application either:

  • via email to
  • in person or post to City of Swan Administration, 2 Midland Square, Midland, 6056.

We will send you an invoice once we receive your application. View our schedule of fees.(open in new window)

If your application is approved, we will send you a Section 40 certificate. You can then supply this to the Department as part of your Liquor Licence Application.

Back to of the page