After three years of no rate increases, the City of Swan Council adopted to increase rates revenue by 3.25 per cent compared to 2022/23. This increase allows us to continue delivering high quality services and projects for our rapidly growing community.
The increase equates to, on average an additional $47 annually per residential household, which is equivalent to under a dollar a week. Pensioners in the City will pay even less, with a discount up to 50 per cent on their rates capped at no more than $750.
Rates are levied on all rateable properties to provide services and facilities to our community. There are approximately 67,685 rateable properties – this number is steadily increasing due to land subdivisions and other developments. Rates constitutes approximately 58 per cent of the City's total revenue.
As a ratepayer of the City of Swan, your rates help pay for:
- the upkeep and maintenance of infrastructure such as roads, footpaths, street lighting, bushland and river foreshores
- bin collections, verge collections and recycling centres
- support local businesses and organisations
- community and recreation services including leisure centres, libraries, youth facilities, parks and reserves
- various community events and activity programs.
Your rates are critical in allowing us to deliver essential services and projects that will sustain our community for many years to come.
Rates are used to fund and maintain a wide range of services and facilities, including:
- leisure and aquatic centres
- waste management
- recreation halls
- community care
- graffiti removal
- health services
- business development
- community safety rangers
- urban planning
- environmental planning and rehabilitation
- tourism development
- community development.