The function of Local Government
At the City of Swan, our work is varied and touches almost all areas of the day to day lives of our community. Our workforce is highly skilled and focused on improvement, seeing Swan as a great place to work. We are well positioned to deliver community lifestyle choices through successful advocacy and ongoing collaborative partnerships with government, industry, service providers and community.
Our functions are diverse and we deliver an enormous number of services. However, we remain responsive to the changing needs and expectations within our community, continuing to support and enhance the sustainability and diversity of our communities. Examples of our services and functions include:
- infrastructure and property services, including local roads, bridges, footpaths, parking facilities, drainage, waste collection, fire and emergency services
- provision of recreation and cultural facilities such as libraries, parks, sports facilities and fields, swimming pools, leisure centres, visitor services, halls and civic buildings
- environmental and health services such as water and food inspection, noise and animal control including dog and cat licensing
- community development services focussing on cultural diversity, children, youth, the ageing population, community care services, volunteering, community safety and economic development
- building services such as approvals, inspections, licensing, certification and enforcement
- statutory and strategic planning services including development approval, land use, sustainable environment, and local area planning.