Australian Citizenship


Becoming an Australian citizen is an exciting and proud moment for thousands of individuals every year. In celebration of those who have chosen to live “down under”, the City of Swan hosts citizenship ceremonies to welcome those living in our beautiful City.

To be eligible to attend a citizenship ceremony at the City of Swan, you must:

·      reside within the City of Swan

·      have an approval letter from the Department of Home Affairs

Further information about the citizenship ceremonies and what you can expect is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Frequently asked questions

When are ceremonies held?

The City of Swan holds regular ceremonies, approximately once a month.


I have received my letter of approval, when can I attend a ceremony?

The Department of Home Affairs allocates people to ceremonies.  The Department of Home Affairs will send the City a list of people to invite approximately five weeks prior to the scheduled ceremony. This list is based on date from approval.

You will receive an invitation from the City of Swan approximately four to five weeks before your ceremony date. Invitations are sent via email.

To ensure that you receive your invitation please make sure your details are up to date with the Department of Home Affairs. Your details can be updated through your ImmiAccount.  

For enquiries about when you will be allocated to a ceremony date, please contact the Department of Home Affairs at or phone 131 880.


What is the waiting time for a ceremony?

The waiting period for a citizenship ceremony at the City of Swan once you have received the approval letter from the Department of Home Affairs is between three to six months.


What do I do if I can’t attend the ceremony I’ve been invited to?

Please notify us of your unavailability and we will arrange to have you transferred to a more suitable date.

There is not an alternative to attending a citizenship ceremony in person and making the pledge.

Where are the ceremonies held?

Ceremonies are held at: Midland Town Hall, 312 Great Eastern Hwy, Midland WA 6056


What do I need to bring with me to my ceremony?

You need to bring one form of photo identification:

·       driver's licence

·       passport or

·       an official document with a photograph.

If you do not have photo identification, then bring at least three (3) documents showing your name, address and signature:

·       bank statements

·       utility bills or

·       credit card statements.

If you are under 16, you do not need to bring photo identification.

How many guests can I bring to the ceremony?

The City allows two adult guests per recipient.


Do children need to attend the ceremony?

Children aged 16 years and over are legally required to attend their citizenship ceremony and take the citizenship pledge to become an Australian citizen. Children under the age of 16 are not legally required to attend.

How long does the Citizenship ceremony run for?

Registration is open for approximately 45 minutes, and the citizenship ceremony runs for approximately one hour. Refreshments are provided for recipients and their guests immediately following the ceremony.

What Pledge am I taking? What is the difference between Pledge 1 and Pledge 2?

There are two pledges; Pledge 1 the Oath refers to God, whereas Pledge 2 is an affirmation. You would have nominated which pledge you are making when you filled out your application form at the Department of Home Affairs. The Department of Home Affairs advises us of your nominated pledge when they send us the candidate names. Pledge cards will be made available at the ceremony. You will be asked to make your pledge in groups, not individually.

Can I take photographs at the ceremony?

An official photograph will be taken of each recipient as they receive their certificate from the Presiding Officer. These are complimentary and will be available online approximately one week after the ceremony.

If you wish to take your own photographs, we ask that these are taken from where you and your guests are seated.

The Presiding Officer will be available after the formal proceedings should you wish to take photos with your phone / camera.

What should I do if I lose my citizenship certificate?

You will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to arrange a replacement via their website or phone 131 880. The City of Swan cannot issue or replace citizenship certificates.


Auspire — The Australia Day Council WA, Community Citizen of the Year Awards 


Know someone great? The City of Swan is proud to support the Australia Day Council Community Citizen of the Year Awards. These awards are given to those outstanding individuals or groups who have made a significant contribution to the local community.

There are four awards categories: 

• Community Citizen of the Year
• Senior Community Citizen of the Year (over 65 years)
• Young Community Citizen of the Year (under 25 years)
• Active Citizenship Award (community or group event). 

The awards are presented each year at the City of Swan’s Citizenship Ceremony on Australia Day. To be eligible, nominees must reside, work or volunteer principally within the City of Swan. Nominations for the 2021 awards will open soon. Nominations can be made at the Australia Day Council of WA website.